World Peace

World Peace

Friday, May 27, 2011

Culture of Cape Town





Basic Culture:


Cape Town is filled with many different kinds of people. The only population that I haven't seen yet is American.




One thing that you can count on in Cape Town, especially the Western Cape, is an overwhelming homeless population. When walking down the street, whether in Table View (where the volunteer house is) or in the city, you can never fail to see atleast fifty locals hanging out under every bridge. They have boxes, blankets,matresses, and clothes EVERYWHERE. You pass fields with clothes scattered everywhere.







Walking through the city at night is horrifying because of all of these people. They stand inside of narrow little pasageways and reach out at you when you pass by and then continue to follow you down the street screaming that they are going to take your bag. And this happens when you are in a group of seven.







I got to learn a little more about Cape Town from a taxi driver names John. He has lived in Cape Town all his 67 years and he has een a taxi driver for 52. He told us about the overwhelming homeless population, and the high crime rate in the area. He told us to avoid mini busses, as these busses are where people get rapped, robbed, and murdered at. He also told us never to wlak alone, and to try to be out of he city before dark even if we are in a large group.







When John heard that I was American, he told me to be extra careful and to try and pull off anoher accent. He was such a nice little old man, and I think I have found my taxi driver for the next 8 weeks:)



More info to ome on culture . . . .







Culture of child rearing and schooling:







Cape Town is an interesting place. The culture here is very different than in the U.S. The Capetonians believe in saying what they think, and they don't really care what others think of them. From what I have seen and heard, they believe firmly in independence from a very youg age. When I was talking to the owner of Home of Hope, she was asking me about American culture and, ofcourse, telling me her opinions about it. She felt that Americans were ruining their future generations by spoiling their children too much. She also felt that American teenagers were the way they are because of too much affection.









Elenore's views reflect a lot of the South African ways. Many South Africans feel that Americans have went about things in a way that has left our society screwed up.




I got to pull of a visit to the top of Table Mountain via Cable Car yesterday. I'm not brave enough to hike it yet. John told me that it was straight up, dangerous, and even that experienced hikers had trouble with it. But, I got some decent pictures from teh top. Check out the cute little guinea pig looking creatures:






























No comments:

Post a Comment