World Peace

World Peace

Monday, May 23, 2011

Arrival in Cape Town, Oh, and some penguins





First, I have to say that 28 hours in planes and airports SUCK! They especially suck when you are stuck with a lady and an 18 month old baby (who decided it was fun to scream during the whole 7 1/2 hour plane ride) sitting beside you. Also I would never suggest joining in on a 12 hour plane ride just for the heck of it. They aren't the best way to spend your Saturday night. BUT, I can totally say that all the plane rides were worth it! Cape Town is gorgeous!










There are 12 volunteers at AVIVA House. I am the only American volunteer at the accommodation, which has proved to be very funny thus far. English accents are very difficult to understand, especially when you are running on about 3 hours of sleep within a two day period. But, everyone is very nice and welcoming.










Today I got to go to the Sancoob Penguin and bird sanctuary where we cooked for a group of 40 children and got to tour the center. Apparently penguins are vicious animals, but I did get the opportunity to pet one penguin who was known to 'only nip' at hands. I have pictures of me and the penguin, but they are on someone else's camera, so I will upload those later. For now, I just have some of the penguins:

2 comments:

  1. Am so jealous of your penguin trip !!! Bring me one ;) Glad you got there safe ! I finally got your email from the blog so it's working !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you have the opportunity to have these experiences. Enjoy every day. We love you.

    ReplyDelete