World Peace

World Peace

Monday, May 30, 2011

Success with the Kids

Today was my first day alone with the kids! Adele, the other volunteer, finished her time up with Home of Hope and went back home today. So, at first I was a little nervous, considering the kids try to run over me in as many ways they can. Over the weekend, I pondered several techniques to use with the kids, since I am not good at raising my voice with them. No good technique really clicked; so, I decided to just play it by ear and see what happened. If things got out of control I would just go to the nearest corner and roll into a ball until I thought of something better to do.


But, the day begin rather smoothly, and came out of 9 oclock with only a scratch, bite, and smack in the face from a giant Lego train. I was rather pleased with the little boogers. But, then 10 o'clock came and they decided that I looked ready for more. So, the trouble begin. It always begins with one. Little Harry, who is nearly two, decided to get up first. After Harry came Gunda, then Lutho, then Timba, and so on. At first I tried raising my voice with them and when that didn't work I simply set down and waited for them to wonder about me. It took only a minute for them to start wondering why there was no screaming going on. After that, it was like magic. One followed my lead to sit back down, then the other, then the other, until all of them were seated and waiting to see what all of the quietness was about. Once they were all seated, I begin to talk in a really low voice and see if somehow it might work. And it did! The kids were so used to hearing screaming that they calmed down and listened when I spoke quietly to them. I was amazed.





After that one incident (which nearly terrified me), things flowed smoothly the remainder of the afternoon. I am happy to report that I came out of my first day alone with only a scratch, bite, smack in the head, and one nice kick. Believe it or not, that is a good day!!





It is only the beginning of my second week, and I have already had so many crazy, wild, funny, and great experiences. I am hoping that this quiet talk technique continues to work...but, I'm sure the kids will pull something else out on my just to add to the fun. One thing I have learned is that no day is ever the same with kids,whether special needs or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment